problems with gnome

Gnome's been giving me trouble recently. Sometime it doesn't show the main menu, the archives listed on desktop or doesn't initialize the panel saying that there's already a running panel. I've been deleting some archives like .xsession-errors .gtkrc* and so on. But this isn't always successful. And to solve the panel problem we try to kill some processes, but sometimes they just won't die.
But these procedures are paliative. I want to know how to stop them to occur. Can anyone help me? Maybe that isn't even related to Gnome.