Re: Package is in a very bad inconsistent state (texlive) [solved]

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 10:39:25PM +0200, T wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 18:53:19 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
>
> > One suggestion in earlier threads was to use forcing options with the
> > package tools, but I'm reluctant to do so because I don't understand the
> > implications well.
>
> Go ahead and remove the problematic package via dpkg by force. That's
> exactly for the situation like yours.

I used --force-remove-reinstreq to get past the "bad state" problem.
Unfortunately, the postrm script invoked mktexlsr (this is from
memory), which was no longer on the system.  So this still wouldn't
remove the package.  I commented out the relevant line in the postrm,
and was finally able to remove the package.  From there I cleaned out
the rest of the mess.  Probably --force-all would have done it in one
shot (since the invocation of mktexlsr was the only thing in the
postrm).

Before I did this I got to the bottom of the the error reported by
aptitude, which actually originated in the apt libraries.  See bug
#385784 for details.  The "bad state" error produced by dpkg is not in
the format apt expects, so either dpkg or apt's handling of it need to
change.  The bug has a couple of different patches for apt to
work-around the problem.

Ross