How to get cups printing remotely solved

This letter documents

How I set up printing on debian sid remotely ie:
from 1 computer running sid to another computer running sid.

good articles on cups setup remotely
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/Setting_Up_a_Network_Printer_using_CUPS
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS_Setup#Linux_to_Linux
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkPrintingWithUbuntu
http://xubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/08/09/howto-print-from-one-ubuntu-printer-to-another-with-xubuntu/

Here are my brief notes. My network is 192.168.10.* and I have the server set up at 192.168.10.18
key things are:

On server:
edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

1) delete the following two lines
	Localhost:631
	/var/run/cups/cups.sock

substitute the line
	Port 631

2) add the line
Browsing On

3) In Location stanza allow the following

<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  AuthType None
  Allow From 192.168.10.64
  Allow From 192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0
#  alternative Allow From 192.168.*.*
</Location>

????????????? possibly may need a line
ServerName 192.168.10.18

?????????????? possiby  may need a line
BrowseAddress 192.168.10.255

****************

I then set  up a printer. i called it hplaserjet on the server.
I used cups web administration
localhost:631

*****************

On the client machine I created a file called
/etc/cups/client.conf

which has the line

ServerName 192.168.10.18

where the ip address is that of your printer server.

i then needed to go into the web based adminstration module on the client
to install the printer
in web browser open up

localhost:631
go into administrative module

i needed to set up the printer.

click add a printer

call it anything you want then
enter this location

ipp://192.168.10.18:631/printers/hplaserjet

where 192.168.10.18 is the printer server.

then  select the right driver

then this should work.

i dont know why this is so darn difficult now on debian.

Mitchell

Note On both machines I had the following packages

dpkg -l|grep cups

ii  cupsys                                 1.2.2-2                                 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
ii  cupsys-bsd                             1.2.2-2                                 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD commands
ii  cupsys-client                          1.2.2-2                                 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client progr
ii  cupsys-common                          1.2.2-2                                 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - common files
ii  cupsys-driver-gimpprint                5.0.0-2                                 printer drivers for CUPS
ii  cupsys-driver-gutenprint               5.0.0-2                                 printer drivers for CUPS
ii  gnome-cups-manager                     0.31-2                                  CUPS printer admin tool for GNOME
ii  libcupsimage2                          1.2.2-2                                 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - image libs
ii  libcupsys2                             1.2.2-2                                 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs
ii  libgnomecups1.0-1                      0.2.2-5                                 GNOME library for CUPS interaction
ii  libgnomecupsui1.0-1c2a                 0.31-2                                  UI extensions to libgnomecups