Re: Building my own Perl on Sarge AMD64

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 02:41:32PM -0500, Neil Gunton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using Sarge on AMD64 (dual Opteron). I noticed recently that there
> were some issues with the stock version of Perl - "v5.8.4 built for
> x86_64-linux-thread-multi". Messages were appearing in my apache error
> log every time a child process terminated, to the effect that "2 or more
> threads are running". I wasn't starting multiple threads, so this always
> mystified me. At the same time, I was noticing that at times of higher
> webserver load, the CPU "system" load and fork rates were spiking
> unreasonably (going to over 120 forks per second). I had a suspicion
> about the multithreaded perl, as I had never seen this before on my
> previous servers, which had the same software setup (2.6 kernel, apache
> 1.3.x), except that they had had non-multi-threaded Perl installed.

I don't know much about Perl, but I will try to help.

> I am no expert on debian packages, and I couldn't find any references on
> the Web for either getting pre-built non-threaded Perl, or how to build
> a debian package for it. The process for getting Perl 5.8.8 from
> unstable or testing scared me, because it seemed that the package had
> dependencies that would mean a whole lot of other stuff might need to
> also be upgraded. Also, I assume that the newer versions would also be
> multithreaded, which wouldn't help all that much if threading is the
> problem. I don't really fancy upgrading a lot of core packages to
> testing or unstable on my production server, which is unfortunately the
> only AMD64 (or debian for that matter) box I have access to. My
> workstation is slackware.

The two most critical packages (or sets of packages) in a Debian system
are libc6 and Perl.  If you mess with those, it can be close to
impossible to get your system back into a consistent state.

> So I decided to try building my own non-threaded Perl, from source. I
> got the source for 5.8.8 from perl.org, and it built ok as non-threaded,
> and I was able to get apache with mod_perl built using it. I also had to
> re-build all my perl modules, but that was ok. The thread error messages
> disappeared from the apache logs, and munin now shows that the CPU
> spikes have all but disappeared (you can still see a rise in CPU usage
> and forkrate when the web traffic increases, but it is nothing like the
> spikes we had before). So I guess this helped fix the problem, for
> whatever reason.
>
> However I quickly discovered that by replacing the Debian Perl with my
> own, it broke a bunch of stuff, such as apt-get. I got all kinds of
> errors because things like deb-conf appeared to now be broken with the
> new perl. I couldn't find out easily what was missing - no reference to
> deb-conf or the other stuff that was missing on CPAN, and Debian itself
> seemed to be very confused because it thought its Perl should be there,
> but it wasn't.
>
> I tried removing the Debian version of Perl, to make it cleaner so that
> the new one was the only version lying around, but quickly discovered
> that dozens of other packages depend on it - I would end up also
> removing all manner of essential utilities. So I obviously have to leave
> the Debian Perl in place.
>
> I ended up building apache with my new perl, but then afterward
> re-instated the /usr/bin/perl with the old version. This appeared to
> make everything work again with apt-get, but my apache is still using
> the newer version. I don't like this, it seems very kludgy and rickety -
> when I need to build apache again, I'll have to remember to temporarily
> re-instate my new version during the build.
>
> Obviously there are issues with building your own perl, but I'm sure it
> must be possible to do it using the "official Debian way". Can anyone
> give me a step-by-step instructions on how you're supposed to build your
> own Perl on a Debian system, while still keeping everything happy?

If you want to customize your Perl packages, then check out my HOWTO on
building custom Debian packages:

http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/howtos/debcustomize

Of course, be careful.  :-)

> Thanks!