Re: difference between octave2.1 and octave2.9?

On Sunday 03 September 2006 09:38, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm interested in knowing the differences between these two. If
> octave2.9, which is supposedly superior to 2.1, is stable, why do we
> still have both in the archive?

There are still some things that work with octave 2.1 but do not work with
octave 2.9.  For example, texmacs which could be used as octave's GUI, works
well with octave 2.1 but the plugin is not yet updated for octave 2.9 . More
details can be found at

While this may not explain the reason for existence of both versions, it does
justify having both IMHO. People who want latest version without the need of
a GUI can use octave 2.9 while people who need a GUI can use octave 2.1 with
texmacs.

hth
raju

--