Re:Thunderbird does not show attachments any longer

By now I have followed some advice:

Added
#attachmentView {
 -moz-appearance: none !important;
 height: 65px !important;
 overflow: auto !important; }
to userChrome
Now the 'Attachments' is much larger, but the field white and empty.

I have created a new profile, and the same thing happens for the new profile.

I have
apt-get remove mozilla-thunderbird
apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird
and I see no changes

So, there seem to be no attchments at all, even though there *are*.
Therefore I tried. 'edit as new ...' and - voilà - the attachments show up in the new message.

mozilla-thunderbird_1.0.2-2.sarge1.0.8b.1_i386.deb is the version I'm running here on Sarge.

Still hoping for some more advice ...

Uwe