Re: etch installer and dm-crypt

(Oops, Brett, I sent this to you before)

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 17:13 -0400, Brett Viren wrote:
> sigi <dugongs@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > The best would be, to have i.e. 3 encrypted partitions, give one
> > passphrase at boottime, and that's it.

I am planning on setting up encryption on top of RAID5; I'll have at
least three encrypted partitions (/, /var/backups, swap).  I tried this
in an emulator, and had the same problem.

> If you don't want to type so many passwords, why not just use 1
> partition?

How many Linux systems use only one partition?

I tried using a random key for the swap partition, but I guess mkswap
wasn't being run on boot, so that didn't work.

Couldn't there be some changes made to /etc/crypttab or whatever to get
a key from USB drive?  Or maybe to use one passphrase for multiple
encrypted partitions.