Re: Serious problem: text disappeared everywhere

On Thursday 31 August 2006 04:29, Yang Sheng wrote:
> Hi
>
> These days I found I almost can't work with my KDE, because it seems there
> are some terrible error with text rendering engine(pango?). Just when I
> writing this post, the text I inputed would disappear after I changed lines
> or insert words . And this appearance not only appeared in the my
> firefox(it appear only in firefox early days,andnot serious), but also any
> program run in KDE. And the text may appeared again after I selected the
> blank. I was driven mad. The text disappeared at least ten times when I
> wrote this post in gmail.
>
> Can anybody know the reason or help me to solve it?
>
>  I am using Debian Etch(testing) and all packages have already updated to
> the lastest. Linux kernal is 2.6.16.

1. KDE does not use pango. QT. However, I doubt KDE or QT are  the problem.

2. If you upgraded xbase-clients to 1.7.1-ds3 which is on both testing and
unstable, that will do it. This was posted, in my opinion, prematurely. I got
a 1.7.0 version off debian snapshows. Putting that on still did not fix it
since apparently more damage was done.  The following day, an upgrade to
xserver-xorg-core (??) and this did fix it. I have not reupgraded the 1.7.1
stuff.