Re: Using cups remotely?

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 05:07:50PM -0300, Bruno Buys wrote:
> I have two networked sarge machines. One is printing successfully via
> cups to a paralel hp printer. How do I set up the other machine to use
> this one remotely, preferably as default?

The /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file on my machine has the following in it:

Listen localhost:631

I'm pretty sure this was the default, I don't recall having modified it.

This means that it is listening only on its loopback address, and any
remote machines wouldn't be able to print to it. I imagine your server
will be in the same state. To make it listen on external network
interfaces, you should either change this line to:

Listen *:631

or add another line like:

Listen your.ip.addr.ess:631

...and then restart cups.

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
Linoleum - Linux Programming Resources: