Re: Error 21

On 8/28/06, Derek Martin <code@pizzashack.org> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 10:48:59AM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 11:27:08AM -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> > As someone who was once a total noob with linux, I assure you a
> > file server does need a windowing system.
>
> To serve what possible need?  How does serving files require X?  How
> does having X *enhance* the ease of serving files?

I think what Kelly means is that to an inexperienced system
administrator, there are a lot of GUI tools that make overall
adminstration of the server much easier to manage.  Even after 11
years of managing Linux and Unix systems, I must admit that some tasks
genuinely are easier to manage with their associated GUI front-end
tools... even if I hate using them, and avoid them like the plague.

The problem with such tools is they rarely encompass every
configuration possibility, and they usually want you to do things
their way.  They tend to be a bit inflexible.  But, for someone who
is very inexperienced and just has basic needs, it's probably
sufficient and a lot easier than trying to track down what file needs
to be edited, or what man page needs to be read, if you can even
figure out what piece of software does the job you're trying to
reconfigure...

But to say a file server needs X is just silly.  What is needed is
user (sysadmin) education.