Re: Questions about Etch in chroot.

Paul Dwerryhouse wrote:

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 12:34:53PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
1) I have noticed that some commands, like 'uptime', do nothing in the chroot. No errors, just no output.

Try mounting /proc within the chroot:

mount /proc /proc -t proc

That will get a number of other commands working, too, like ps and top.
I do have proc mounted! BTW, neither ps, nor top work. Also, I have installed lvm2, since that I use lvm to create all partitions but / (mounted in my Sarge system prior to doing the chroot), and the various lvm commands do not work, either, such as:

$ pvdisplay
No program "pvdisplay" found for your current version of LVM

but if I use tab completion at the bash prompt, as in:

# p
pager perl pidof play printenv pvcreate pvscan pam_getenv perl5.8.8 ping plipconfig printf pvdisplay pwck pam_tally pg ping6 pmap ps pvmove pwconv passwd pgrep pinky popd ptx pvremove pwd paste pic pivot_root poweroff pushd pvresize pwdx pathchk pico pkill pr pvchange pvs pwunconv

you can see that pvdisplay is certainly there. Why doesn't my system like it?

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail