Re: Questions about Etch in chroot.

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:34:53 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> I have installed a minimal Etch system into a chroot.  ...  My purpose
> is to get a clean system without leftover bits of everything from Bo to
> Sarge. ... so I try not to reboot any more than nescessary.

ha, finally found one that's as "crazy" as I am. :-)

> 1) I have noticed that ...

don't know about that.

> 2) Possibly an extention of #1 -- My wife and I have seperate X sessions
> going simultaineously (currently using XFree86).  Mine is always on vt07
> and hers is on vt08.  Can I close down only my own session, leaving the
> other session intact, then from the console chroot to my Etch system and
> start Xorg up from there so that it will still be on vt07?

I think so. I think have done that myself but I'm not 100% sure now.

BTW, if you want to run X apps from your Etch, not to test the newly
install Xorg, you can do it in you own X session.

> 3) Since I have not yet installed a kernel and rebooted, I am running
> off my old kernel (2.6.8) from Sarge, along with its modules and
> drivers.  How much is it reasonable to do in this chroot?  Should I just
> install a kernel and add it to my lilo.conf (keeping the old one, of
> course) and reboot into the new system to get everything installed and
> tested, or can I actually do this from the chroot (as I would prefer).

Anything related with device would not work quite well, since Sarge uses
hotplug whereas Etch uses udev. Other than that, I didn't notice anything.
But I wasn't using it extensively. I only chroot it until I've customized
it to my own taste -- a couple of days, less than a week.

FYI, I had some serious problem with installing Xorg, and kernel. If you
are having the same problem, I recommend to give grml (grml.org) a try.
That's the one I'm using now. Experienced user can have a working Debian
system under 20 minutes.

tong