[solved] Re: Trying to get my C-Media sound card to work on Debian Sarge

Kelly Clowers wrote:
On 8/26/06, Glen Yu <glen.yu@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I've been trying (with no luck) in getting sound to work on my PC.  It's
a C-Media sound card onboard the Asus P5GD2-X motherboard (you can find
its specs here:
http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=540&l1=3&l2=11&l3=24
).  The website doesn't give a whole lot of information on the chipset
and there appears to be only one driver/module for C-Media type sound
cards: the snd-cmi8330.ko (under ALSA -> PCI devices).  However, it's
not the right one as modprobe won't allow me to install it.
Furthermore, lspci shows:

[...]
0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
[...]

But loading the Intel High Definition Audio module (snd-hda-intel.ko)
does nothing also.  So I'm wondering if anyone has gotten theirs to
work, and if so, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
-Glen

I found info indicating that your MB has a C-Media CMI9880L chip.
I Googled for that and found a post about a different MB, but it seems to
apply to your MB as well:

Grafster wrote:
The sound card is CMI9880L from CMedia; its part of the MSI 915P/G Neo
2 Platinum Mboard). However the Alsa page
(http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-do...-C-Media#matrix) doesn't seem
to refer to this chipset anywhere. Does that mean that the chipset
isn't Alsa?

The CMI9880L is a codec chip. The entire sound system is a
combination of a codec and a controller chip.

$ lspci
Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio
Controller (rev 03)

The driver for this is snd-hda-intel. It's quite new, you should
update to the latest ALSA.

--------------------

and you said that loading the Intel hda driver didn't do anything, which I take to mean it loaded (unlike the c-media), but you still did not get sound. If that is the case, the Intel driver is most likely the right one but you may have a
higher level sound issue.

Have you used alsamixer to check that the sound is not muted or turned all
the way down?
Have you checked if the programs you use are outputing sound to the right
device?

Cheers,
Kelly

OMG, there's sound now...this was the problem: alsa-base wasn't even installed... >=(

But thank you very much for you help, it reminded me to check if the mixer was there =P

Thanks thanks,
-Glen