Re: Problem with Raid Array persistence across reboots.

On Saturday 26 August 2006 06:40, Alan Chandler wrote:

> >- I found the guidance at
> >http://www.planamente.ch/emidio/pages/linux_howto_root_lvm_raid.php
> >to be very helpful
>
> Indeed, in there it says you need to do
>
>   cd /etc/mdadm
>    echo 'DEVICE /dev/hd*[0-9] /dev/sd*[0-9]' > mdadm.conf
>    mdadm --detail --scan >> mdadm.conf
>
> particularly the last line of that - which writes the data
> into /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
>
> By doing that it seems to work

 Sort of - but it needed a few extra bits.

It is necessary to update the initrd image to tell it how to start the right
md arrays.  it seems to do this by doing something in update-initramfs to
copy the contents of /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf into the initrd image.  Quite
what, I don't know, but this is how I got it to start

I had to give up on an lvm root filesystem on top of the raid array, but it
was fairly easy to create an extra raid partition on the disk for the root,
and get around it that way.
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk