[sound config] recording from a usb headset

Dear list,

I'm trying to get some USB headphones to work on my PowerBook G4.
More precisely, I would like the microphone from the headset to work.
Playback works, I get some sound, but recording doesn't.

Kernel is 2-6-15.1 (vanila Debian)
Headset is Bus 005 Device 007: ID 046d:0a02 Logitech, Inc.
Debian Testing
PowerBook G4

Sound playing via say mpg321 works.
KMix works fine, and sees both the Powerbook internal speaker and the
headset. Furthermore, when turnign the mic volume up, I can hear what
the mic picks up amplified.

However, opening krecord, I get a "Can't open sound card, no such file or
directory".
I get the same when trying to use wengophone. (which really is the app
I would like to get working)

There is no /dev/dsp (I don't know if there should be one).

The alsa modules are the ones pre-compiled by Debian, don't know where
to get the version, but there are from testing from 2 days ago

Thanks for any help, pointers, etc.

André

--
André Allavena