Re: Asus sucks (Re: sata sucks)

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 10:26:31AM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
How long do they sustain operation if the power fails?

-- hendrik

It all depends on how power hungry your machine is. LCD is more efficient than CRT, a Cool 'n Quiet AMD CPU is probably more efficient than an older generation Intel CPU. A friend recently purchased this model (http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=21) UPS for her 20" iMac. Has more than enough power to let her save her work and power down her machine gracefully. Cost her 35.00 US dollars.

Nick

So, in this same vein, does linux recognize events from a USB(i think)
connected UPS? I have some of my boxen on UPS with the monitors on
regular power to give me more uptime on them. THe idea is to recognize
that we've gone to UPS power and gracefully take the system down
automatically.

I have such a setup with apcupsd running and controlling a Backups LS500. Just so only the modem + case are plugged in to the battery, gives me 15.2 mins of battery uptime. I have written vt and X little monitors for that. It is the case that APC is totally M$ driven. But the Linux maintainer of apcupsd, Adam Kropelin, is fantastic and does a super job maintaining the code, but if you talk to APC product support all you hear is M$ and nothing else.

I recommend APC just because of its support by Kropelin, he has a LS500 and gave me a version of apcupsd that can set the eprom sensitivity.