Re: Re: Install Etch from Sarge with debootstrap question

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:34:59 -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

 On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 11:37:33AM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I am currently running Sarge and want to install Etch, using
> debootstrap, so I can play around with it while I still have Sarge
> to fall back on. I have set up and mounted my filesystem under
> /mnt/debinst, but when I run the following command:

 You must use the debootstrap or cdebootstrap packages from backports.

Thanks. I have debootstrap from backports running now. It seems to be going OK, but...

The original Sarge version of debootstrap wanted to DL base-config, which does not appear to exist in Etch, or Sid, at this time. Is there another package which has replaced base-config? The copy of the installation manual that I got from debian.org (for Sarge) says to use base-config to set the TZ, add a normal user, and set Apt sources. Now, I can certainly do that manually, but is there a preferred, "Debian" way to do this under Etch?

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail