Re: Which package does hardware detection?

Kent West wrote:
I've had a, um, boo-boo with my Sid box today, and in trying to repair it did a lot of uninstalling and reinstalling. I've mostly got the box back together.

However, hardware detection no longer works. Every time I reboot I have to modprobe my mouse, usb, nic, and sound devices.

I've installed "discover", but that hasn't helped.

What's the proper Debian package nowadays for auto-detecting/setup of hardware? (I also tried udev, but it complains about needing a newer kernel; the kernel was not replaced in my tinkering as mentioned above.)

Thanks!

If I am not mistaking, udev was the replacement for hotplug
Thierry