Re: [newbie]: own boot/root cd with grub : ide problem

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 09:12:33PM +0200, Stephane Durieux wrote:
>    Hello,
>
>    As a newbie (not really a developper) I want to make my own boot/root CD.
>    So I have made a custom kernel, an initrd to be loaded by the boot loader
>    and a root  tree.
>    The ramdisk contains device /dev/hdc (my cdrom), unfortunately when  I
>    boot  pivot_root fails  telling pivot_root: noc such file or directory
>    but pivot_root is also present on the ramdisk.
>
>    Is it possible to boot a cdrom from grub ? (Why wouldn t it be ?)
>    Cause I have read through the web there are some problems
>
>    I must mention that ide drivers are not compiled as modules.
>
>    Can  somenone help me
>
>    Thanks for reply

I don't want to kill off any interest in finding your own solution
and climbing the learning curve, but I think that you might be
interested in (if you don't already know it) the bootcd package:

apt-cache show bootcd
Package: bootcd
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 208
Maintainer: Bernd Schumacher <bernd.schumacher@hp.com>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.48
Depends: mkisofs, cpio, fdutils, file, dosfstools, realpath, bootcd-i386
| bootcd-hppa | bootcd-ia64
Recommends: cdrecord
Suggests: ssh, bootcd-mkinitrd
Filename: pool/main/b/bootcd/bootcd_2.48_all.deb
Size: 50710
MD5sum: 1be93da94feb02ef60744f68ba13d669
 Build an image of your running Debian System with the command
bootcdwrite.
 You can also build a bootcd ISO image via NFS on a remote System.
 When you run your system from CD you do not need any disks. All
 changes will be done in ram. To reuse this changes at next boot time
 you can save them on FLOPPY with the command bootcdflopcp. If booting
 from your CD-drive is not supported, booting from FLOPPY is possible.
 It is possible to install a new system from the running CD with the
 command bootcd2disk. Bootcd2disk can also find a target disk, format
 it and make it bootable automatically. Bootcd also supports
 initrd root fs, devfs, transparent-compression ISO 9660 fs and
 syslinux/isolinux.

>    Decouvrez un nouveau moyen de poser toutes vos questions quelque soit le
>    sujet ! Yahoo! Questions/Reponses pour partager vos connaissances, vos
>    opinions et vos experiences. Cliquez ici.
Hth
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred
                 Key-ID: 0x81073379