Re: problems after upgrade

Fred J. <phddas@yahoo.com>:

Please, don't post HTML.  Plain ASCII text, thanks.

>    I am running debian/testing with kernel 2.6.15
>    In my /etc/sources.list I have basically 2 lines,
>    Deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
>    Deb http://secure-testing.debian.net/debian-secure-testing/ \
>           testing/security-updates main contrib non-free
>
>    The box has been working very well for the last 8 months and has
>    gone through many $apt-get update upgrades.  This morning I ran
>    $sudo apt-get update and upgrade.
>
>    First thing I noticed, I lost the ability to browse and to apt-get;
>    in the browser I get connection has timed out.
>    in the apt-get I get 0%[Connecting to http.us.debian.org
>    (1.0.0.0)] and nothing happend.
>    I checked and both my /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts are
>    the same before and after the upgrade.

What does "/sbin/ifconfig" say?  What's in /etc/resolv.conf?  What
does "ping -c 1 lists.debian.org" say?  If that doesn't work, what
does "ping -c 1 70.103.162.30" say?

>    the win2k laptop I am on now is connected to a switch which is
>    connected to the debian box which in turn connected to the
>    adsl/router which is connected to the wall.
>    I tried to fix it by rebooting the debian box, and noticed a line
>    during rebooting saying "iPV6 over iPV4 tunelling device"
>    failed

Do you use iPV6?  I suspect this just means that, like most people,
you don't use it so trying to find it won't work.  No biggie.

>    Second thing I noticed is when I click on items on the screen to
>    do something ?icewm? it takes few seconds to respond.
>    Never was like this before.

Hmmm ...

>    Third thing I noticed is,
>    $emacs
>    opens and then flashed like a vagas night show.

In an Xterm, run "emacs -nw .bashrc".  That should tell you if emacs
works at all.

>    When I move the mouse on the aterm, it scrolls lines and flashed
>    like the screen has been hit by a terrorist attack.
>
>   which I did not notice before.
>    I switched to my good old shell with no xwindow and it works fine.

I suspect you need to do a "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg".  Looks
like X Window lost something in the upgrade.  Note, if you've hand
edited the X config file, read the first page of it to find out how to
get dpkg-reconfigure to change it again.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
- -    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html