Re: Off Topic Topics (WAS: Re: Pumping Gas in Oregon (WAS: Re: Osama Bin Laden Take Over List!))

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 22:30, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * Owen Heisler <owenh000@gmail.com> [2006 Aug 22 19:52 -0500]:
> > Spam
> > Gas pumping in Oregon
> > Whether Off Topic Topics are Permitted
> >
> > Wow!
>
> ????
>
> Profit!!!

	The bridge went dark and the entire ship lurched, throwing everyone
except Data and a nameless lieutenant at Com to the floor of the
bridge.  By the time the lights came back on, Picard had reached his
feet and was scanning the bridge.  Beverly had already moved over to
Riker and was examining the gash in his head.  The viewer was not yet
restored.
	"Report!" he snapped.
	"Damage control still assessing," Lt. Worf responded, "No other ships
in range and no signs of weapons fire."
	"Mr. Data, what was that?"
	"It appears we have been thrown off course by the gravitational field
of a superthread."
	"Superthread?  Don't you mean superstring?"
	"No, sir.  A superstring is a construct left over from the creation of
the universe.  As we have seen unless trapped by two dimensional
beings, it is quite easy for a Galaxy class starship to break free from
any fields surrounding a superstring.  A superthread is not natural."
	"Are you saying someone built whatever it was that hit us?"
	"It was not an intentional structure, sir.  A superthread is much
longer than a superstring and much more dangerous.  Superthreads are
completely random and chaotic structures that start small and grow over
time, sucking in everyone around them and trapping them in  a miasma of
disconnected and unrelated, and often opposing and argumentative views
of the universe."
	"Then how do we get a way from it?"
	"We cannot.  All we can do is ride along with it and tolerate it as it
grows and grows, eventually to where it takes over the entire region.
Then it dissipates due to boredom and eventually evaporates."
	"Are we in danger?"
	"Only with certain types of superthreads.  Most are harmless and their
growth is limited."
	"Can you determine what the type of superthread this is?"
	"It's the worst.  We're caught in what was an OT post that became a
thread and evolved into a superthread on Debian User."
	"Oh, my god!" Gasped Lt. LaForge.
	"We'll never escape," said a grim Lt. Worf.
	"I sense impending and unavoidable disaster," said Counselor Troi...

Hal