Could not create server lock file: /tmp/.X1-lock

Hi,

I have installed xserver-xgl and can run it and compiz from a KDE root
session -- wobbly bits and all. However, when I try to login -- using
the same scripts -- I receive the following:

  Xsession: X session started for marc at Mon Aug 21 18:48:57 BST 2006

  Fatal server error:
  Could not create server lock file: /tmp/.X1-lock

  xset:  unable to open display ":1"

and so on.

To login, I have created:

  /usr/shar/xsessions/xgl.desktop

which can be selected from the KDM panel. All this does is call:

  /usr/local/startxgl.sh

  #!/bin/sh
  Xgl :1 -fullscreen -ac -accel xv:fbo -accel glx:pbuffer &
  DISPLAY=:1
  exec startkde

As I say, this all works from root, but from an regular user it is
effectively halting at the line commencing Xgl.

Any ideas? Thanks.

--
Best,
Marc