From: Andrew Sackville-West [mailto:andrew@farwestbilliards.com]
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 12:30 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: booting up the system

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 02:10:21AM -0300, Iuri Sampaio wrote:
> So far I've got some improvement, but I'm still stuck on the grub
> installation process.
>

> I followed the steps you listed bellow, but on knoppix environment,
instead
> of Debian Installation CD
>
> 2) orient yourself in the partitions with fdisk -l /dev/hda
>
> 2) mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
>
> 3) chroot /mnt
>
> 4) grub-install
>

> On the 4th step, I ran grub-install and got this error message

[ snip many linesof commands not found ]

have you fully setup the chroot environment? Do you have /usr on a
seperate partition? you need to mount your partitions (especially
probably /usr, /boot etc) within the chroot before stuff works
correctly. I would do it from outside the chroot before chrooting in
to the environment.

for example, in my setup I would

mount /dev/hda2 /mnt
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/boot
mount /dev/hdb3 /mnt/usr
chroot /mnt

your setup will obviously be different.

>     GNU GRUB  version 0.95  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

> [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
>
>    lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the
possible

>    completions of a device/filename. ]
>
> grub> root (hd0,)
>

> Error 12: Invalid device requested
>
> grub> setup  --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 --prefix=/boot/grub (hd0)
>

> Error 12: Invalid device requested
>
> grub> quit
>

> Furthermore, on debian CD installation, I skip to another terminal,
alt+f2,
> and tried to orient myself where and what are the partitions, but the hda
> device (the hard disk), is not recognized, I tried to mount it up, but it
> says there are no such file or directory.

I think (not positive) that you need to work your way through the
installer until it launches the partitioner, at that point you can be
sure that the system is set up to see the harddrive. Or you could
manualy insmod or modprobe the modules required to see your hard disk.