Changing fstab and re-mounting disks

Here is one I can not explain: A user wanted to mount a vfat partition (/dev/hda4) to /mnt/hda4. His fstab had this line in it:

/dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4 auto defualts,rw,users,owner,auto,uid=1000 0 0 (uid=username ID). And yet, root:root owned all the files/dirs, that was to be expected, I think, and user could not mkdir or files, permission denied. I had him change the fstab line to this:

/dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4 vfat defualts,rw,users,auto,suid=1000,umask=0 0 0 (umask setting is a test, to test writing)

umount /dev/hda4 as root. mount /dev/hda4 as user. ls -l on hda4 showed root:root owned all the files (drwxr-xr-x 14 root root )

Could not chown -R user:user /mnt/hda4/* as root, "not allowed". the user ran out of time (life gets in the way), but I found out a few hours latter he "fixed" the problem: From a irc past:

(19:18:13) Dbarracuda: what was it?
(19:18:22) RABraker: the hell if i know  <<<the user in question
(19:18:26) Dbarracuda: lol
(19:18:31) Dbarracuda: it just started working?
(19:18:58) RABraker: i mounted it in /media/hda4 and made arnold the owner of both (19:19:25) RABraker: but it seemed to start working after changing the fstab and rebooting

so, here is the question: What did I advise wrongly and why would not a umount, mount /dev/hda4 work? We only wanted user to be the only one to access it. Keep in mind, I really don't know what was finally changed during the above irc session, at this point in time, I only surmise that the changes I recommended were used. I rarely play with vfat anymore, and obviously I am rusty.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com