Re: VMWare, how to access host share?

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:08:32 +0200
T <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> How can I access my host shares from under Linux within WMWare?
>
> My host's samba and share folders are working fine -- I can access my
> host shares from win2k guest OS. But I just don't know how to access
> it from Linux guest.
>
> - I used to use "nmblookup \*" to look what's out there, but that
> failed to show me anything.
>
> - I also tried to use "smbclient -L <default_gatway>", but that fails
> too.
>
> - I can't seem to find such simple instruction on the Internet.
>
> please help.
>
> thanks
>
> tong
>
> PS. The Linux guest that I used trying to access host is Elive 0.4.2.

For a Linux guest you need to add the user and a password to the
smbpasswd file.

man smbpasswd:
" -a     This option specifies that the username following should be
added to the local smbpasswd file, with the new password typed (type
<Enter> for the old password). This option is ignored if the  username
following  already  exists  in  the smbpasswd file and it is treated
like a regular change password command. Note that the default passdb
backends require the user to  already  exist  in  the  system password
file (usually/etc/passwd), else the request to add the user will fail.

This option is only available when running smbpasswd as root."

--
Greg Madden