system hang

my system has begun to hang momentarily, every .5 minutes or so, e.g., when
typing the echo will lag. Another new thing I see in the system is the
following message at boot time:

Executing: blockdev --setra 256 /dev/hda1
proc not found in PARTITIONS.
/proc not found in PARTITIONS.
Checking proc against HD because PARTITIONS contains "auto".
   Considering /dev/hda.
   Considering /dev/hdb.
   Considering /dev/hdc.
   Considering /dev/hdd.
   Considering /dev/hde.
   Considering /dev/hdf.
   Considering /dev/hdg.
   Considering /dev/hdh.
   Considering /dev/sda.
   Considering /dev/sdb.
   Considering /dev/sdc.
   Considering /dev/sdd.
   Considering /dev/sde.
   Considering /dev/sdf.
   Considering /dev/sdg.
   Considering /dev/sdh.
sysfs not found in PARTITIONS.
/sys not found in PARTITIONS.
Checking sysfs against HD because PARTITIONS contains "auto".
   Considering /dev/hda.
   Considering /dev/hdb.
ETC

i also see hdparm being executed in the same messages, although I can't find
anything that looks like it is causing the disk to spin down at frequent
intervals. also, i ran 'atsar', and it shows what seems to be normal disk
activity, e.g., writing to and closing a file in a perl script is reflected
in the atsar output as an immediate disk hit.

Just prior to the appearance of this problem I installed the suspend2-related
software; suspend2 support was in the kernel out of the box, but I had to
install other stuff to get the system to acutally suspend. as far as i can
tell nothing related to suspend2 happens unless i run a script to do the
suspend. Kernel is (2.6.16.4). The machine is a toshiba satellite 1135.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Tom Arnall
north spit, ca