Re: Open Source Supported Graphics Cards

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 07:52:03PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Monday 14 August 2006 19:02, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Your words of wisdom have been noted. Now???? Stick with windoz and stay
> > > happy forever.
> >
> > The question is whether you do your learning up front, or later.
> > With Debian, it's up front.  With Windows, it's later.  Not the Windows
> > installation is easier than Debian's -- it isn't.  But the store you buy
> > the computer at usually installs it for you.
>
> You can get Debian pre-installed.
> http://www.us.debian.org/distrib/pre-installed

I see one vendor on the list preinstalling Debian in all of Canada, and
none in Montreal where I live.  There are thousands who preinstall
Windows.  The store I used to go in Montreal to that preinstalled
Linux has gone bankrupt.  To be honest, there are others, not on the
list, and stores that do claim to support Linux are starting to pop up.
But walk into an average computer store, and they still day you're on
your own with Linux.

The day the average computer store asks its customers, Do you want to
pay $250 or so for Windows or get Linux free isn't here yet.
(whereupon the customer will say, what's Linux?)

-- hendrik