Problem on first boot

After installing debian etch, the first boot doesn't start up X11. It comes up with an error saying there are no screens. I have an ATi X1600 Pro which does work in Ubuntu and other distros. I would like to use debian over ubuntu, but as of right now I have no choice. I was playing around with debian before I installed it on VMware and I had not a problem. I know that ubuntu uses the vesa driver and not the ati driver that debian puts in xorg.conf, could that make any difference?

--
http://planetxen.com