Re: Need Help With Installing X11 and KDE

On 8/14/06, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
Steve Grace wrote:
> I gave up and reinstalled the base OS again with no
> additional packages.
>
> I then installed and configured kde-core, kdm, and x-windows-system-core (I
> want to start with a minimal environment and add to it). KDE didn't start
> automatically so (assuming that I missed something) I installed the entire
> kde package, which didn't solve the problem. I saw a note somewhere about
> starting X11 with "xstart"; I tried that and got an error (listed in
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log):
>
>      Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
>
> It seems that X11 doesn't like my mouse (it's a PS/2 trackball). The mouse
> worked in Gnome yesterday (although it was auto-detected; not specifically
> selected) and works with Knoppix (using the same device: /dev/input/mice).

Hi Steve,

You probably need to install in this particular order:

x-window-system-core
kdebase
kdm

That should give you a bare KDE system. You could then do
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and try /dev/psaux as your input
device.

Goodluck, hope this helps.

--
Rage