Re: which locale

Wei Hu wrote:

> Which locale should I use? I am using en_US.utf8 as the default
> locale. but when I do $ls to display non-English file name or
> directory. I get something like ???????? ((invalid Unicode).
>
> I'd like to use English as the default locale, but still can display
> non-English file name without these '???????invalid Unicode's.

This means that the filenames are not in UTF8. UTF8 can be used to write
text in most (all?) languages, but it does not mean that you will be
able to view filenames written in non-UTF8 encoding.

Your best bet would be to set the locale that works with the filenames,
rename the files using only ASCII characters, set the UTF8 locale back,
and rename the files to what you want.

Alternatively, you can simply rename ????? files, like you would rename
any other file.