Re: Delinquent maintainers?

On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 03:40:07AM +0100, James Westby wrote:

> Do you mean by un-migratable that it isn't in etch? ...

Yes.

> If so I have sympathy for you, but it is possible to get it by other
> means, and the bug that is keeping it out of etch means that it shouldn't
> be in Debian at all in it's current state.

Okay, but the bug can be fixed, if the maintainer would do something, or so
I understand.  Saying "It's a bad bug" doesn't really mean much in that
context.

> The grave bugs you refer to are tagged unreproducible, meaning that the
> maintainer has no idea why they happen, and cannot reproduce them to try
> and investigate.

So they just sit unfixed and unremoved forever?

I did in fact notice that.

> If you are suffering from a bug that is tagged unreproducible then you
> should send an update to the bug report explaining your situation, and
> giving any information you can, and ask the maintainer to remove the
> tag. You could also aid the maintainer to try and identify what causes
> the problem so that it can be fixed.

It isn't that I'm suffering from it in the sense that it affects me, since I
CAN'T EVEN INSTALL THE STUPID PROGRAM.  It's that the presence of those two
unreproducible-but-unremoved bugs keeps checkinstall out of Etch.  Forever,
apparently.

> In the case of checkinstall I suggest that you try it, and if you
> encounter the problem help the maintainer to fix it. It looks like the
> chances of you hitting the bugs is slim though.

How can I fix it? [pause while I do research] Okay, it's written in C.  I'm
not a C programmer.

> If all you want to do is install vlc then you can use apt pinning and
> install the version from unstable.

Sure, but I shouldn't have to, and that won't get VLC into the next Stable.
Nor will that fix the weirdly-ignored checkinstall.
--
Carl Fink                                   nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at nitpickingblog.blogspot.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!