Sound repeats three times with snd-via82xx

Until recently, I was able to get my sound-card working using the ALSA driver snd-via82xx. However, after a kernel upgrade about a month ago, this no longer works. I'm using 2.4.27.

I upgrade my kernels by downloading/upgrading the kernel-source-2.4.27, unpacking it in my home directory and using make-kpkg to make a kernel image to install.

However, with kernel-source-2.4.27-10sarge1, this introduced a bug that causes sound to be unusable. Normally, I can test the sound system by doing this:

cp soundfile.au /dev/audio

However, after building and using the new kernel, doing that causes the sound to be repeated three times.

Has anyone encountered this behavior before? How can I fix it?