Re: mp3 players with Debian (samsung and iriver)

H S writes:

> Thinking of getting an mp3 portable player. Options are iRiver t30 and
> Samsung YP-C1Z. The latter also a radio tuner in it so this appears to
> be the preferred one. The main deciding factor for these was that they
> play OGG files.

I own a Samsung YP-MT6. It works without problems in Debian
(unstable).

> Has anyone used either of these with Debian? I just wanted some
> feedback if it is straight forward to transfer files to/from these as
> USB devices.

It's very straightforward. When I plug the mp3 player to my computer
it gets detected automatically by the kernel (2.6.15.1):

kernel: usb 3-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
kernel:   Vendor: Samsung   Model: YP-MT6            Rev: 2122
kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 04
kernel: SCSI device sda: 2034432 512-byte hdwr sectors (1042 MB)
kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
kernel: SCSI device sda: 2034432 512-byte hdwr sectors (1042 MB)
kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
kernel:  sda: sda1
kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0

--
-- Jhair