Re: cups newbie

Ionel Mugurel Ciobica <tgakic@chem.tue.nl> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Someone knows few thinks about cups? I am trying to set up a printer
>
> [...]
>
> I try to follow some tutorials, howto's and faq's from cups but I
> can't figure it out...

Hi,

maybe the procedure I followed to make my Epson Stylus C20UX work
with Sarge can be helpful.

Bye,
Rodolfo

Operating system: Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 "Sarge".

After the Debian base installation, I had chosen the manual
packages selection and installed the following packages:

make gcc less x-window-system gnome-session gnome-panel nautilus gnome-applets gnome-control-center gnome-system-tools gnome-core epiphany-browser libc6-dev kernel-source-2.4.27 cvs autotools-dev build-essential dpatch dpkg-dev g++ g++-3.3 libice-dev libjpeg62-dev liblockfile-dev libncurses5-dev libpng12-dev libpng3-dev libsm-dev libstdc++5-3.3-dev libtiff4-dev libtiffxx0 libungif4-dev libungif4g libx11-dev libxaw7-dev libxext-dev libxi-dev libxmu-dev libxmuu-dev libxp-dev libxpm-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxt-dev libxtrap-dev libxtst-dev libxv-dev patch pm-dev render-dev texinfo x-dev xaw3dg xaw3dg-dev xlibs-dev xlibs-static-dev zlib1g-dev

. I did:

 # apt-get install cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client libcupsimage2 cupsys-driver-gimpprint cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data gs-esp

. Now, *without connecting to internet*, I pointed my web browser to:

 http://localhost:631

. From there,

Manage Printers > Add Printer > root and root password >
                > epson, rodolfo, Epson Stylus C20UX, Continue >
		> device: USB Printer #1 (EPSON Stylus C20), Continue >
		> Make: EPSON, Continue >
		> Model: Epson Stylus C20UX - CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.7 (en),
		  	       	      	      		      	     Continue

, and rebooted (maybe not necessary).

Cancel existing printing jobs:

 $ lpstat
 epson-1                 rodolfo        2306048   Tue 01 Aug 2006 11:53:38 CEST
 $ cancel epson-1
 Password for rodolfo on localhost?
 [rodolfo's user password]

. To cancel jobs owned by rodolfo,

 $ cancel -u rodolfo

---------------
Cleaning etc...

 # apt-get install escputil

To check ink level:

 # escputil -i -r /dev/usb/lp0

. To clean heads:

 # escputil -c

. To use escputil as normal user, I did:

 # adduser rodolfo lp

, then rebooted.