MP3 resampling

I have some .mp3 files that I would like to resample to a lower bitrate to take up less space. from what I have read, I should be able to do this with lame with a cmdline of:

   lame -abr56 infile.mp3 outfile.mp3

which would resample the output to an average bit rate of 56kbps, or:

   lame -v -b56 infile.mp3 outfile.mp3

I tried using the second option, at 56, 64, and 128kbps. None of these made much difference in the file size, however. I then tried :

   lame -V6 infile.mp3 outfile.mp3

which cut the file size by about 20%.

When I tried using -abr the file size shrank by about 60%, but, I used values of -abr56, -abr64, and -abr128. All three ouput files had the same size and, according to mp3info, all were encoded at 64kbps.

What did I do wrong?

What is the best way to resample MP#s so that reasonable quality is retained, while file size is noticeably reduced.?

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail