To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 10:18 AM
Subject: RAID10 on Debian (or RAID0 on top of RAID1) - possible?

I wanted to install a Debian system on RAID-10, on 4 disks.
Unfortunately, it seems that Debian installer only supports RAID0, RAID1 and RAID5.

As RAID-10 is technically RAID-0 on top of RAID-1s, I tried such a scenario:

   R1          R1
HDD1 HDD2  HDD3 HDD4

Unfortunately, Debian installer is also unable to create such a setup - it seems that it can't create RAID devices on existing RAID devices (i.e., RAID-0 on RAID-1).

How can I set up RAID-10 (or RAID-0 on top of RAID-1) using the Debian installer?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski