/dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrw both point to the writer

Whenever I reboot my Debian Etch, running 2.6.15 or 2.6.16, both /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrw links point to the same device /dev/hdd which is a CD writer. The CD reader drive, /dev/hdc, is apparently not detected to have a link created. I always have to recreate the /dev/cdrom link to /dev/hdc for it to work. However, the drive does work by just using /dev/hdc though.

Am I missing something here? I was expecting that /dev/cdrom should be pointing to /dev/hdc and /dev/cdrw should be pointing to /dev/hdd.

I have udev 0.093-1 and use KDE, if it matters.

thanks,
->HS