Mailman refusing to create site list

I just (finally) got around to upgrading my mail server from Debian
Woody to Sarge, and that brought a change of my Mailman version from
something a few years old to 2.1.5-8, which refuses to start unless
there's a list named "mailman".  Seems a bit silly to me but, OK, let's
create it:

/home/esper# newlist
Enter the name of the list: mailman@sherohman.org
Enter the email of the person running the list: esper@sherohman.org
Initial mailman password:
Create a new, unpopulated mailing list.

Usage: /usr/sbin/newlist [options] [listname [listadmin-addr
[admin-password]]]

<snippity-snip>

Illegal list name: mailman@localhost
/home/esper#

Ummm... OK.  It's refusing to create a list named mailman@localhost,
even though I told it to create mailman@sherohman.org.  I've also tried
using just mailman as the list name with identical results.

What do I need to do to get Mailman to agree to create the all-important
site list so that I can get my lists up and running again?

Also, I have a few virtual domains on the server.  Am I correct that a)
the site list should be at the server's primary hostname and b) it is
not necessary to create site lists of mailman@[every virtual domain on
the box]?

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that