Re: installing apache into alternate directory?

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> On 05.08.06 16:06, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> > I can't seem to find an answer in any of the normal places, so...
> >
> > Short of making from scratch, is there a way to get apt-get to install a
> > copy of apache in an alternate directory, so I can run several demons in
> > parallel?
>
> You can run several daemons in parallel even without having installed apache
> multiple times. You can run the same apache binary with different configs,
> different pidfile, different logfiles...
>
> What exactly do you want to accomplish?

I'm migrating from an old Red Hat machine to a new Debian machine.  Right
now, I'm running two daemons, compiled with very different configurations,
different log files, and so forth.

The migration would be a lot easier if I could simply install two copies
of Apache - in different directory trees, copy over all the files, and
then tweak the configurations as necessary.

Trying to combine the two configurations, even partially, seems likely to
entail a lot more tweaking at the level of changing directory paths in
multiple places and such.

I'm in the middel of migrating a LOT of stuff, so anything that saves time
helps a lot.

Thanks,

Miles