Re: Sarge - how to write a filesystem backup directory to a DVD ?

#include <hallo.h>
* Keith Christian [Mon, Aug 07 2006, 03:23:07PM]:
> Having gotten a new internal DVD burner, I'd like to know the best way to burn
> a directory of files to a DVD for system backup.  (Also, I'd rather burn the
> DVD using a command at the BASH prompt instead of from a GUI.)  The capacity
> of the DVD is 8gb, write speed is 16x, and the size of the directory to be
> burned to the DVD is about 7gb so there should be plenty of space.
>
> I've installed dvd+rw-tools from the Sarge CD's.
>
> I'm a little confused - should the input to "growisofs" be the directory that
> is to be burned to the DVD, or should an .iso be created first, and that in
> turn burned to the DVD, as is done with CD's ?

Honestly, RTFM of growisofs helps reducing your confusion. It runs
mkisofs itself and catches the output. So it is not neccessary to make
an iso image, you specify the same things you would do with mkisofs, eg.
a directory, multiple directories, or "graft-pointed" catalogue.

For big directories, the dirsplit utility can be used (from
www.freshmeat.net, the one in Sarge is not uptodate).

> I've seen references to "formatting" or "initializing" DVD's on a few websites
> but don't know if that's really necessary.

Unless you are going to use the UDF filesystem (writting on-the-fly)
formatting should not be necessary.

>  Free Blocks:           2295104*2KB
>  Track Size:            2295104*2KB

Looks like a usual 4.3GiB medium.

Eduard.
--
<amq> Joey: ich häng schon am Manual.
<RvB> amq: Naja, du musst halt nicht nur dranhängen sondern auch lesen.