From: Alan Chandler [mailto:alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk] Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 7:49 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Open Source Supported Graphics Cards
I am planning on building myself a new computer from scratch, probably based
on the new Intel Core 2 Duo chips, and am seeking opinions on the best
graphics chipset/card that I should use. Basic criteria are as follows
1)  Must be open source driver (under linux)
2)  Some 3D capability - but not necessarily the fastest, but expect to run
the following in the future (not particularly tried any of these yet)
 -  Flight Gear
 -  Blender
- KDE4
I currently am running a Gigabyte Radeon 9200 - which seems just about ideal
as it has the R200 chipset which seems fully supported.  I would have liked
to carry it over to my new machine.  Unfortunately
a) It has an AGP interface - newer motherboards seem to be PCI-E
b) My favoured Hardware Supplier (http://www.dabs.com) don't seem to stock
any graphics cards with this chipset as its far too old.
My current exploration around this subject doesn't seem to get a very clear
opinion.  Most reviews seem to concentrate on ATI or Nvidia chipsets, with
the requirement that I would then have to choose the binary drivers from
these two manufactures. This is something I would like to avoid.
Looking for alternatives at the dri.sourceforge.net web site, the chipsets
with full support, mainly seem to be the older ones, with possibly Intel and
Matrox offerings.  Not sure I understand the detail - but this seems to mean
a motherboard with an intel chipset, or get a Matrox G5500 separate card. What are don't really know is will these be sufficiently performant for the tasks I need it for. What can this list advise?

 --
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk