Re: problem with switch

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 02:33:35PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've recently encountered an odd problem with a switch and a Dell PC
> running Debian. I'm using it on a cable modem. When I plug the machine
> directly into the cable modem, I can get on the net (the cable modem
> uses DHCP as per usual).

if you can get a dhcp lease directly from your cable modem, then dhcp
client is working on the debian box.

> However, when I plug the machine into the switch, the machine can't
> get on the net, in fact it can't get a lease from the DHCP server at
> all.

does the switch have an incorporated router? does it supply dhcp
service? is that dhcp service turned on? does it have some sort of
configuration that might be preventing you from getting a lease?

> However, a Mac OS X laptop does not have any problems. Therefore, the
> problem presumably has something to do with the combination of the
> switch and the machine.

is the laptop connecting by wire or wireless? if wireless, you're
dealing with different systems... If wired, how does the osx box get
ip? is it set for fixed IP? are you saying that the osx box gets a
dhcp lease from the switch(router?)?

> The machine in question has a Broadcom card, and is using Debian's
> somewhat hacked around with tg3 driver, so I'm wondering if that could
> perhaps be causing the problem, and if so, whether switching to the
> bcm5700 would solve it.

I can't imagine that if it works direct connected to the modem that it
won't work through a switch. there is something else wrong in your
network, would be my guess. try setting a static ip on the debian box
and see if that works.

> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about how I might resolve
> this issue? Thanks in advance.

see above :)