Re: Accelerated-X and Trident XP4 m32 LP

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 20:54:26 +0300, gustavo halperin wrote:
Hello

Some of you have any experience with Accelerated-X x-server ?

I have a Toshiba Portege R100 with Graphic driver Trident XP4 m32 LP. I'm thinking to buy the X-server from Accelerated-X, but first I want be sure that it server is compatible with Debian and also that I will have 3D acceleration. I see in the Accelerated-X page (see #1) that the Trident Graphics Chip "CyberBLADE XP" is supported, my question is if this name is synonymous of my Graphic Chip. And my second question is what about the system chipset, my system have a chipset Intel 855PM and I see the "README.xsvc" from Accelerated-X page support the chipset "855G", so is the same?. More over, I really need xsvc, because in the Accelerated-X page is wrote that if you have a PCI card instead of an AGP video card there isn't needed XSVS. How can I know if I have PCI or AGP video ??

The Intel 855PM and the 855GM/GME chipsets are different things, the
former is a memory controller and the latter is an integrated graphics
card plus memory controller:

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/mobile/documentation855.htm

The "855G" driver from the Accelerated-X page seems to be for the
855GM/GME graphics card, so it is probably of no use to you.

Thanks for the explication and the link, :-)
Which version of the XFree86/Xorg "trident" driver did you try? The
manpage claims that the Xorg 7.0 version supports acceleration for your
card. (It does not specify if this is 2D or 3D acceleration, though.) If
you are using Sarge it might be worthwhile to try Xorg 6.9 from
www.backports.org before buying a commercial X server.
I'm actually using Xorg 6.9 in my sarge. Xorg looks like it haves XV driver support (I copy at the end the xvinfo output), but the viewer like mplayer or xine both gives a blue screen if I try to use this drive (mplayer -vo xv <movie>). In the other way are the 2D and 3D accelerators, theme are part of the DRI project, and none of both accelerator are suport with my Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XP4m32.
And what about  Accelerated-X X-server? Any experience with it?

Thank you,
   Gustavo

That is the xvinfo output:
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
 Adaptor #0: "Trident Backend Scaler"
   number of ports: 1
   port base: 65
   operations supported: PutImage
   supported visuals:
     depth 24, visualID 0x23
     depth 24, visualID 0x24
     depth 24, visualID 0x25
     depth 24, visualID 0x26
   number of attributes: 5
     "XV_COLORKEY" (range 0 to 16777215)
             client settable attribute
             client gettable attribute (current value is 66046)
     "XV_SATURATION" (range 0 to 187)
             client settable attribute
             client gettable attribute (current value is 80)
     "XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range 0 to 63)
             client settable attribute
             client gettable attribute (current value is 45)
     "XV_HUE" (range 0 to 360)
             client settable attribute
             client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
     "XV_CONTRAST" (range 0 to 7)
             client settable attribute
             client gettable attribute (current value is 4)
   maximum XvImage size: 1024 x 1024
   Number of image formats: 3
     id: 0x36315652 (RV16)
       guid: 52563136-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
       bits per pixel: 16
       number of planes: 1
       type: RGB (packed)
       depth: 16
       red, green, blue masks: 0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
     id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
       guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
       bits per pixel: 12
       number of planes: 3
       type: YUV (planar)
     id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
       guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
       bits per pixel: 16
       number of planes: 1
       type: YUV (packed)