Re: Diskless Debian

Frank Hart wrote:
A couple of months ago, I switched from a normal PC router to a Linksys
WRT54G with OpenWRT. It's a good image but the problem is space. There
is barely room for an OpenVPN server and shorewall. Also, I'm somewhat
worried about timely updates. One of the big pro's is that the device is
quiet and doesn't suffer from harddisk failures.

I'm doing nearly the same thing: WRT54GS router, but I'm running the DD-WRT distro on it. It has the ability to do what you're talking about, namely mount an NFS partition at boot time and then read firewalling rules from a file on the NFS partition.

I found a HOWTO on a blog out there showing me how to set this up, but then I figured out a slightly better way to do it.

But it's certainly possible with DD-WRT without having to reinvent that wheel...

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -- Galileo Galilei