Re: Could not connect to security.debian.org:80 on aptitude

J F wrote:
> I am getting an error from aptitude (and apt-get update):
>
> http://security.debian.org stable/updates/man Packages {ERROR}
> Could not connect to security.debian.org:80 (128.101.240.212), connection timed out
>
> It repeats the error twice for main, contrib, and non-free .
> It waits about 5 minutes at each try.
>
> 1. I've never seen this on my other debian computer
> and so it's strange to see it here.  Lots of things
> different between the 2 computers.
>
> 2. Is there a way to make it give up waiting in a shorter amount of
> time, say 1 minute instead of 5 minutes?

I'm getting timeouts on 128.101.240.212 (ftp.us.debian.org &
security.debian.org) as well.

Per the man for apt.conf I believe you can configure the timeout by
appending something like:

Acquire::http::Timeout "30";
Acquire::ftp::Timeout "30";

I haven't tried it, so don't quote me on that.  The manual doesn't
specify, but I'm presuming the value is seconds.