Re: Wireless module bcm43xx in 2.6.17 kernel

Freddy Freeloader wrote:

> No.  I just listed the ssid in wpa_supplicant.conf.  I didn't set the
> channel or the ssid with iwconfig as I've never had to do that before.
> I'll try it, but what's the reasoning behind using iwconfig for that
> when wpa_supplicant is supposed to take care of it?  Or, is it just my
> overall ignorance of wireless networking showing up here?

I haven't had much opportunity to use wireless stuff in Linux, so my
knowledge is a bit sketchy...

That said, I'm not sure if wpa_supplicant actually sets the SSID or just
uses it to identify which section of configuration to use (I believe you
can have encryption settings for more than one network?)

The reason to use iwconfig is to tell the adapter which network it needs
to associate with / which channel to use.

I am not clear from your previous posts whether you managed to get it to
work without encryption, but if you can see the networks with iwlist and
can't dhcp (when there is a server) it sounds like your network adapter
is not associated with the router/access point.

Hope this helps,

--
George Borisov

DXSolutions Ltd