Re: Internet connection disappeared after debian-install on laptop

Vegard L. Rekaa wrote:
> I'm installing Debian Etch (with netinstall-cdimage) on a laptop.
> During installation, it configured the DHCP-internet-connection
> automaticly, downloaded all 708 packages and installed them perfectly.

Which means your NIC works with Debian. That's good.

> But, when I reboot the system after intall, the internet connection is
> gone. I checked with another computer, that the line out is OK, but
> still when I plug the (ADSL) modem to the laptop, internett is not
> available.
>
> I'm not experienced with internett-connection setup, so I must ask:
>  1. Wich commands gives output that makes it possible to locate the error?
>  2. Is there a way to repeat the auto-configuration I saw during
> installation after the system is up and running?
>  3. Any other advices or hints are very much welcome!
>
> System specs:
> - The internet connection is broadband, with dynamic IP-adress (ADSL
> through the telephone-line).
> - No password or login nescesarry.
> - Debian Etch (testing) kernel 2.6.15-486
> - Laptop has no internal network-device, but has one available when
> connected to the docking station (wich of course is connected).

Run "lspci" while attached to the docking station. Look for an entry
mentioning your network card. You may need to "modprobe <module>", where
<module> is the name of the appropriate module for your network card.
You could also run "modconf" (if it's installed) for a more menu-driven
pick-and-choose method of installing the correct module (and this method
has the advantage of adding the module to "/etc/modules" so it'll be
loaded on succeeding reboots - otherwise you'll have to add it manually).

I think that nowadays there's a utility ("discover"?) that should
automagically probe for and insert correct modules on boot-up, but it
may not be working properly for you for whatever reason.

Once the correct module ("driver", in Windows-speak) has been loaded,
you may still need to restart your network, with "/etc/init.d/networking
restart". You may also need to define your network settings in
"/etc/network/interfaces".

I know this is not very specific, but it might point you in the right
direction.

--
Kent