Re: Will VNC run on a laptop with 32MB? What to do with OLD laptop?

Preface:  I assume in this message that you're using Linux on both
computers.  If not, I don't know what to tell you.  Windows doesn't have
the functionality required to do this.

j1234f wrote:
> Would that be like running an x-server on the
> old laptop with very little memory and have
> have firefox and other applications running on
> the desktop machine?

Yes.  All you need is X on the old laptop.  I think by default you'd
have to modify '/etc/ssh/sshd_config' to say 'X11Forwarding yes' on the
remote machine (your faster computer that will be running the programs).
I can't remember if openssh-server is installed by default but I know
the client is.  You'll need the server on the remote machine.

Then on the old laptop you could just run 'xinit' from a tty and from
the xterm that appears, you'd type 'ssh -X remote-ip'.  This is assuming
that X is not currently running, you are using the standard SSH port,
and you have the same username on both machines.  If all of that isn't
true, use something like 'xinit -- :1' and 'ssh -p {port} -X
remote-username@remote-ip'.

Once you're logged in, issue 'xclock &' just to test.  Once everything
works, you could issue whatever commands you like (e.g, 'firefox &').
You could do something like 'metacity &' for a WM.  If you want to
actually use a desktop environment, it's just as easy.  I use gnome
mostly so for me it's 'gnome-session &'.  Gnome is pretty
bandwidth-intensive so maybe another DE would be better.  Everything
should work nicely.