Re: CUPS dependencies

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 10:43:33PM +0200, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

> A "bog-standard Laserjet" is, IMHO, a printing machine that is
> connected through a parallel port and which speaks PCL. The 1012
> is neither, as far as I could find out (USB, and speaking some
> restricted dialect of PCL only). Crowning itself with the
> "Laserjet" label must be something of a marketing trick. But don't
> worry, this thing most likely will work with Linux (see also
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1012)

It works great with Linux.  HP offers official, open-source support.  It
worked fine with CUPS until about two months ago, when Debian upgrades broke
something that hasn't been fixed.

> In the first place, you must have USB printer support enabled in
> your kernel. I have this in my hand-rolled kernel. With stock
> kernels there may be some module that you have to specify in
> /etc/modules. This may cure your problems with CUPS as well as
> with lprng [NOTE: both are *fine* systems! I just happen to think
> that CUPS is bloated and horribly complicated, but this is just a
> matter of taste!]. You must then tell lprng (i.e.
> magicfilterconfig) that your printer is connected to /dev/usb/lp0:
> (I do not know what you should tell CUPS, because I do not use it).

Again, I can print to the 1012 fine, except that CUPS sometimes dies and
refuses to restart, and I have to purge and reinstall it.  USB printer
support is there and works and it's fine.

I'll try telling lprng about /dev/usb/lp0, and also I'll file a bug against
cupsys for broken docs.

Thanks.
--
Carl Fink                                   nitpicking@nitpicking.com