Re: installing "unstable"?

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 11:38:01AM -0700, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> I don't see an "unstable" installer on the web site.  Is the standard
> way to build an "unstable" system to build a "testing" system, point
> /etc/apt/sources.list to an unstable repository and update+upgrade?  Or
> is there something more common that I'm overlooking?

See http://wooledge.org/~greg/sidfaq.html#3

The way I used most recently was to use a stable netinstall CD and
boot it in expert mode. You'll be prompted which branch you want to
configure apt for (stable, testing or sid). Choose sid. Then I skipped
taskselect and went straight into aptitude and started choosing
packages. This took a little longer but I had an unstable system on
first boot with little cruft. The alternative is to install a testing
system, change your apt sources and dist-upgrade to unstable. This
latter way may be safer for new debian users and is I believe the
recommended method.

--
Ken Wahl